Ground White Turkey Larb Lettuce Wraps
These wraps are my go-to dish for dinner because it's easy to make and delicious. Thai food is known for it's amazing flavors - a harmony of spicy, salty, sweet, sour and bitter.
1 lb ground white turkey (or chicken)
1/2 cup chopped shallots (or 6 cloves)
1/3 cup chopped scallion (or 6 stalks)
2-4 limes (depends on your acid preference)
1-2 tbsp fish sauce
1-2 tbsp rice vinegar
Little gem lettuce, bibb lettuce, or red cabbage
For garnish: scallions, cilantro
1-3 red chiles or sriracha (optional)
(1) Chop up the shallots, scallions, and chiles. Place all of the shallots, chiles, 1/2 of the scallions into a bowl. Set aside the rest of the scallions to be used for garnish. For the chiles, you may use the seeds or discard depending on how spicy you like your food. And be careful not to rub your eyes if handling the chiles with bare fingers! **I usually don't add the cilantro into the mix, but this day I was just not thinking. But if you wanted to, you can as well, I just prefer my cilantro to be placed on top at the end**
(2) Slice 1 lime in half and set aside. Turn on the stove to a medium heat, and heat some oil in a skillet until it shimmers. I use about 1 tbsp of oil. Add the turkey to the pan and stir around. While the turkey is cooking, squeeze the two halves of the lime into the meat and continue to stir. Add in 1 tbsp of fish sauce and rice vinegar as well.
(3) As soon as the turkey is fully cooked, transfer all of it into the large bowl that had the shallots, scallions, and chiles. Mix everything together. Here you can add another 1 tbsp of fish sauce and rice vinegar, but taste before you do. Squeeze in 1-2 more limes depending on how acidic you want it.
(4) Wash and clean your choice of lettuce or cabbage.
(5) Scoop the larb into the lettuce cups and garnish with cilantro and scallion. I used sriracha for more heat. Bon appetit!